It is possible to profit from work as a wholesale distributor, though not many people are aware how to go about it. So what is a wholesale distributor?
A wholesale distributor can be a company, or even an individual, that will deliver products to a retailer (or even other wholesalers) so they can sell the same products at a profit to consumers. The wholesale distributor can be the inventor, manufacturer of the products, a reseller, or just an importer.
It is now possible to sell products as a wholesale distributor in a variety of ways which can be delivered in non-traditional ways too. Traditionally, you would simply rely on a truck, or a host of vans, to supply your buyers with your products. Nowadays, you can rely on face-to-face selling, telephone calls, or online stores to sell your products. You may then opt to deliver the products with your own vans, or pack your products by the case or truckload so you can drop ship them. Superstores (such as Sam’s Club and Costco), and other stores including Cash and Carry have been introduced as well.
Who are examples of wholesalers? Your local supermarket or local grocery store has wholesalers supplying their products to them. They supply basic necessities such as laundry soap, cooking oil, and toothpaste (among other products.) Wholesale distributors can range in size from one-man operations who load the products, drive the van and deliver the goods to customers themselves, to national wholesale distributors who command a fleet of trucks for the job. Many times, the wholesale distributor could be both types because the retailer could patronize different wholesale distributors to supply different products.
If you want to succeed as a wholesale distributor you need to take certain factors into consideration:
1. Demand – because there is so much demand, you can easily find customers (retailers) who will agree to do business with you.
2. You may start your business as a wholesale distributor by using a car that you have now. This means your business will start small by delivering small items first, like watches, snacks, and novelty items.
3. Look for retailers such as convenience stores and supermarkets in your community who will agree to buy products from you. It is easy for you to find suppliers for your products – all you need to do is add your profit margin to their price and deliver them.
4. Invest a small amount of capital into your business – True, you need to spend money to earn money, but you do not need huge amounts of capital to start profiting from the wholesale distribution business.
5. Invest a little time into your business – some start their wholesale distribution business by operating during weekends alone. Those who have a good reputation will eventually find that retailers will start asking about their service eventually.
You will discover that this business also runs on referrals (just like other businesses) so you should provide great service to your existing clients, so that they will tell other retailers about you. Soon, your business will start to grow.